Friday, February 02, 2007

Yet another kind day

The weather is especially kind this morning. It is 8AM on a Friday working morning, and here am I, typing away with my first Luckies. Unlike other regular Fridays when I will still be in slumber, the first thing that came to mind was a freshly written draft – a thank-you note to a friend (yet another one).

She is quite underrated on my priority list of hang-out friends but nevertheless, a friend who’d seen me through shit and glories for the last 15 years.

She is one of the rare few who truly get it:

She understands my way of life and why it needs to be as such that differs from the rest. Now on, I’ll make an effort to pick up my calls and not disappear for months to show up again like it was yesterday.

She knows I’m accident-prone and doesn’t make a big fuss out of my misfortunes. Instead, she sternly tells me to ‘just be a little bit more careful’ AKA ‘be in this world’

She submits to my whims and fancies, from places to go, the food to eat and the music to be. Now on, I promise I’ll not burn you the music that I like, but the music that you like.

She keeps my deepest darkest secret and hold on to it like it is sacred.

She told me to open up and cry whenever I feel like and I took on that privilege ever since.

And most importantly, I listen to her. (Friends out there would know my genetic make-up to be one hell of a stubborn girl who needs to have her last words).

So, this respect and gratitude is way overdue but as the clichés always get it right, it’s better late than never.

Yian, I remember that you asked for me to write you a poem on my 21st birthday. I made a mental note to do so, but never got it right. You asked me again recently, on the Air Asia plane, and this time, you made it easier by noting what you want to feel.

I got my ass moving with a mental sketch and here is the proof. But it wasn’t sincere enough for me to present, as it still sounded aloof.

So, here am I to tell the world today, I will always remember everything you did or say. And please let me plan your wedding, I promise it’ll be a haven that you’ve always pray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel so touched by this dedication and truly honoured to be spoken of in this way.

I must say i do not always agree with her way of life and understanding it is not easy as well. However, i've come to believe that i may not have to do both to make this friendship truly special as every individual is special in its own way and this is no exception. To me, she is just special...

To people who doesn't know us, u can get an idea of how different we both are by reading the excerpts from our conversation on messenger as follows:

"BigcityB says:
your kind of people won't read my blog

BigcityB says:
my kind of people won't know you "

Yes, and this is how different we both are but really is the difference that keep us as friends of 15 years and the difference that let us have hilarious and yet meaningful conversations. Time with her is never boring...

Ade, I still want my poem!!

And yes, you can be my wedding planner provided you promise not to disappear without returning my calls and messages, getting the venue and dates right on the wedding invitations, have it the way i like it and not the way u like it, and last but not least if "the day" comes....!!

And rest assured, i'll b your wedding planner when urs comes!